Interface Converters, Glass Fiber to Copper
Very High Speed Ruggedized ST Fiber-to-RS422 Interface Converter
- Field proven, highly reliable performance!
- High quality manufacturing consistency maintained via established design documentation control.
The Model 4042 is a high speed ruggedized ST Fiber to RS422 interface converter. Typical operating speeds are up to 5 Mbps for RS422 to fiber conversion. When operating in RS422 mode, the converter is configured for 4-wire full duplex operation.
APPLICATIONS: The converter provides an industrial solution for applications requiring a single point-to-point or a communications link over short and long distances.
- PC to PC Long Distance Communications
- Factory Automation
- Data Collection Devices
- Barcode Readers
- Time Clocks, Scales
- Data Entry Terminals, ATM's
- Serial Communications in Harsh Environments
The Model 4042 is designed to operate from -40°C to +85°C. The unit features ESD protection circuitry on the RS422 copper interface. The power input is protected from transients, as well as, over voltage and over current. The converter is powered from a +5V power supply or a +28V power supply via the DB9 connector. Other features include user selectable fiber polarity, TX, RX and Power indicator LEDs.
- Model 4042 converts ST Duplex Fiber to Copper RS422 DB9 (F) port.
- Supports constructing an optically isolated high speed communication link between connected devices.
- Typical operating speeds are up to 5 Mbps for RS422 to fiber conversion.
- Provides full galvanic isolation (no metallic connection) between connected devices.
- LED Status indicators display Fiber RX, TX activity and power indication.
- Circuit boards conformal coated in accordance with IPC-CC 830 suing the type of UR Class B using HumiSeal A133 Urethane conformal coating.
- The circuit board is fabricated to Class 2 standards.
- Fiber Interface:
- Connectors: Fiber Optic ST Female, Multimode
- TX Power: -12.5 dBm
- RX Sensitivity: -27.5 dBm
- Optical Budget: 15 dB
- Max. Link Distance with 62.5/125µm fiber:
- 5.35 kM at up to 5 Mbps, 25°C
- 3.75 kM at up to 5 Mbps, -40°C to +85°C
- Wavelength: 850 nm, multimode
- Fiber Size: 50/125 µm, 62.5/125 µm, 100/140 µm.
- Copper Interface:
- Connectors: DB9, Female
- Type: RS422 (4-wire)
- Terminations: RS422 120 Ohm jumper selectable
- Bit Rate (nom.):
- Network Configurations:
- Input Power: +5VDC or +28VDC.
- Connectors: DB9F Pin 9 (+5V), Pin 1 (+28VDC), Pin 5 (GND)
- Operating Environment:
- Model 4042 Mechanical (Desktop Unit):
- Model 4042, Cat No: 304042
- Size: 2.36" x 1.77" x 0.95" (60mm x 45mm x 25mm)
(Does not include connectors beyond the enclosure)
- Weight: 0.5 lb (226g)
Model 4042 Very High Speed Ruggedized Fiber RS422 Converter Block Diagram
MODELS 4165, 4165-DIN, AND 4166 to MODEL 4042 APPLICATION: PC/Host USB (Copper) to Multimode Fiber Link (Glass Fiber) to DB9 (Copper) to RS422 Serial Interface / Network. (Models 4165/4166 to Model 4042)
MODEL 4042 to MODELS 4152, 4153 APPLICATION: From a Controller RS422 to Multimode Fiber Link (Glass Fiber) to DB9 (RS485/422/232) (Copper) to a PC/Terminal. (Model 4042 to Models 4152/4153)
MODEL 4042 to MODEL 4179 APPLICATION (RS422 to Multimode Fiber to (POF) Fiber): From a Controller to ESL Model 4042 RS422 (Copper) to ST Fiber to ESL Model 4179, SC Fiber (Glass Fiber, Multimode Fiber Link) to POF Fiber (Plastic Optical Fiber, Versalink).
Click here to view more of ESL's Media Converters: /Search/?catid=135&category=Interface+Converters&filter=
All data switches, fiber optic inferface converters, data communication products, and data acquisition products are subject to a one year warranty against manufacturing defects. The limit of ESL liability is limited to the cost of the ESL product provided.
*Prices of Fiber Optic Converters online are subject to change and verification.
All ESL Fiber to RS485 Converters, Fiber to RS422 Converters and Fiber to RS232 Converters are available for export.