Interface Converters, Glass Fiber to Copper Interface
Model 4166 High Speed Ruggedized ST Fiber-to-USB Interface Converter, Board only
Popular Application: Isolated PC USB Communications to Fiber Serial Interface Network.
Model 4166, (Board only) ST Fiber-to-USB Interface Converter with integrated rate buffering convert USB 2.0 compliant data rate from a standard PC to a serial asynchronous data interface over fiber with a user-selectable baud rate of up to 3 Mbps. This converter is ideal for high speed, secure communications, and optical isolation.
- Constructing an optically isolated point-to-point communications link between the USB ports of two PC's.
- Constructing an optically isolated high-speed communication link between a PC and a serial data network that is subject to high EMI environment that might corrupt communications over copper interface.
The Model 4166 Unit features ESD protection circuitry on the USB I/O connector. The power input is protected from transients and features 3kVDC isolation to prevent system ground loops. The Model 4166 converter can be powered from a wide input range of 10VDC-36VDC. Models are available for other voltage ranges such as 4.5VDC-9VDC and 19VDC-72VDC.
Three configurations are:
- Model 4165 Desktop Unit, for applications requiring an enclosure.
- Model 4165-DIN, for application requiring mounting on a DIN rail.
- Models 4165/4165-DIN/4166 units are factory configurable for USB port powered operation. Other features include user-selectable fiber, polarity, user-selectable asynchronous data format, and Tx, Rx, and Power LED's.
- Model 4166 (board only) for embedded applications. The board has front mounting threaded brackets that facilitate rack mounting.\
- Only the Model 4166 board unit has dual DB9 power connectors for convenience is in bused power applications.
- Ruggedized for military applications.
Block diagram for Model 4165/4165-DIN/4166 Glass ST Fiber to Copper USB Interface Converter:
- FIBER INTERFACE:
- Connectors: Fiber Optic ST
- TX Power: -12.5 dBm
- RX Sensitivity: -27.5 dBm
- Optical Budget: 15 dB
- Max. Link Distance with 62.5/125µm fiber:
- 5.35 km up to 3 Mbps, 25°C
- 3.75 km up to 3 Mbps, -40°C to 85°C
- Wavelength: 820 nm/850 nm, multimode
- Fiber Size: 50/125 µm, 62.5/125 µm, 100/140 µm.
- FIBER POLARITY:
- Logical 1 = Light ON/OFF: User Selectable
- FIBER DATA FORMAT:
- Type: Asynchronous, user selectable format
- Rate: User selectable baud rates from 300 bps to 3 Mbps
- Fiber-to-USB rate conversion: Internally buffered.
- USB INTERFACE:
- Connectors: USB, Type B, High Retention
- USB DATA FORMAT:
- Type: USB 2.0 Compliant USB Client
- Rate: Supports low speed (1.5 Mbps) and Full speed (12 Mbps) USB Data transfer rates.
- Input Power: 10VDC-36VDC std, 4.5VDC-9VDC, 19VDC-72VDC, Others at 1.5W
- Isolation: 3kVDC
- Connectors: Dual DB9F for Power Daisy Chaining (board only)
- DC Power Jack (desktop unit)
- USB port powered (factory configurable)
- OPERATING ENVIRONMENT:
- Model 4166 Mechanical (Board Only):
- Model / Cat No: 4166 / 304166
- Size: 4.8" x 3.9" x 0.63"
- Weight: Approx. 3.2 oz (91g)
- Mounting: Mounting Holes, Rt Angle Brackets
- Model 4165 Mechanical (Desktop Unit):
- Model / Cat No: 4165 / 304165
- Size: 5" x 4.25" x 1.4"
- Weight: Approx. 9.8 oz (278g)
- Model 4165-DIN Mechanical (DIN Rail Mounted Unit):
- Model / Cat No: 4165-DIN / 304165-DIN
- Size: 5" x 4.25" x 1.4"
- Weight: Approx. 9.8 oz (278g)
- Mounting: 2 Threaded Holes Std, DIN rail
- DIN Rail Size: 2.84" x 1.24" x 0.16"
- DIN Rail Weight: 0.9 oz (25.5g)
Model 4165/4165-DIN/4166 Point-to-Point Isolated PC USB Communications Application: Copper Interface to Glass ST Fiber to Copper Interface Conversion
A PC is connected to the DB9 Copper interface of the Model 4166. The Glass ST Fiber port of the Model 4166 is connected to a second Model 4165 Glass ST Fiber port. The second Model 4166 DB9 port is connected to another computer via the DB9 port connector.
Model 4165/4165-DIN/4166 Isolated PC USB Communications to Fiber Serial interface / Network Application: Copper Interface to Glass ST Fiber Conversion
A PC is connected to the DB9 Copper interface of the Model 4166. The Glass ST Fiber port of the Model 4166 is connected to a Fiber Serial Interface / Network up to 5 Mbps
Model 4165/4165-DIN/4166 to Model 4149/4149-DIN/4159/4159CC Isolated PC USB to RS232/RS485 Communications Serial Interface / Network Application: Copper Interface to Glass ST Fiber to Copper Interface Conversion
A PC is connected to the USB Copper interface of the Model 4166. The Glass ST Fiber port of the Model 4166 is connected to the Model 4149 Glass ST Fiber port. The Model 4149 DB9 port is connected to a Serial Interface / Network up to 3 Mbps.
This high-quality interface converter is available to city, state, and federal government purchasers at a discounted price and favorable payment and shipping terms via GSA Schedule GS-35F-0286V. Click here for GSA details.
Model 4165 and Model 4166 Fiber to RS485 Interface Converters are available to government purchasers on our GSA Schedule GS-35F-0286V. Call for discounted price and terms.
To view more of Electro Standards' Media Converters, click here: Interface Converters.
Electro Standards can supply all your Network Cable requirements. Click here to reach our CABLES, CONNECTORS/ADAPTERS Webpage.
For custom network interface converters call our friendly customer support staff at 401-943-1164, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or complete our online form: /Products-Custom/Copper-Switch/
All data switches, data communication products, and data acquisition products are subject to a one year warranty against manufacturing defects. The limit of ESL liability is limited to the cost of the ESL product provided.
*Prices online are subject to change and verification.
All ESL products are available for export.