Path Way® RS232 Serial Data Port Sharer
Model 4441 4-Channel DB9 RS232 Serial Data Port Sharer with Data Activity Enabled Port Contention
- Automatic "Channel Sequencing" allows 4 data channels to access one port!
- Automatic Port Contention expands accessability of four channels to host computer.
- PORT AND CHANNEL CONNECTORS: (5) DB9 Female connectors
labeled A, B, C, D and Common.
- FRONT PANEL CONTROL: (1) Manual pushbutton allows local channel
- DISPLAY: (5) Front panel LED's display sharer scanning and power status.
- POWER: UL Approved 120VAC, 60Hz wall mount power module supplies
12 VDC to the unit.
- DIMENSIONS: Desktop, 8.0" W x 8.0" D x 2.5" H. (20.3 x 20.3 x 6.4 cm)
- WEIGHT: Approximately 3.5 lbs (1.6 kg)
4-CHANNEL DB9 RS232 SERIAL DATA PORT SHARER APPLICATION: The diagram illlustrates four asynchronous data channels A, B, C, and D to contend for access to one Host Computer connected to the DB9 COMMON port. Channels A, B, C, and D are sequentially scanned and monitored based on data activity. (Automatic Channel Sequencing Circuitry)
- A "CONTENTION-TYPE" port sharer.
- Allows four asynchronous data channels, A/B/C/D, to contend for access to one Common port.
- Front panel LED's display channel scanning status and power status.
- Signals supported: TD, RD, and SG.
- Selectable timeout period.
- Front panel control allows disabling of any erroneous streaming data channel.
- For a "BROADCAST-TYPE", see Model 8982, Cat.No.302077.
The PathWay® Model 4441 is a four channel, port sharing device. It allows a single destination port, the Common port, to automatically connect through to any of four source channels, A, B, C, or D based on data activity.
Each of these respective four DB9 RS232 serial interface source channels contend for connection. Channels A, B, C, and D are sequentially scanned or monitored for data activity. Once data is detected on a single channel, the remaining three channels are locked out until the data traffic stops and is absent for a preset timeout period. At that point, the Model 4441 4-channel data sharer resumes monitoring of all four channels for data activity. There are status LED's that indicate the unit is scanning, or whether the unit has established a dedicated connection to a single channel.
The devices connected to channels A, B, C and D of the Model 4441 sharing unit contend for connection to the Common port device. Once activity is initiated on a source port A, B, C, or D, that channel is serviced. Connection is maintained while data activity is detected between pin 3, TD, of the DB9 source channel and pin 2, RD, of the DB9 destination / Common port. The signals supported by the Model 4441 are TD, RD, and SG.
While connected and data activity is present, the scanning is suspended. The channel is released and scanning is resumed only after data activity has been absent for a programmed timeout period, or if the channel is disabled via the front panel pushbutton switch.
The timeout period is selectable via a dipswitch located on the top circuit board inside the unit. The program switch is accessible by removing the four screws that fasten the top cover to unit. The Model 4441 is factory set for a one minute timeout period. To change the period, please refer to the Operation Manual.
If a connected device is streaming erroneous data, the user can use the front panel pushbutton switch to disable the channel and remove it from the scanning/monitoring function. Disabling the channel will allow the unit to continue to function as a port sharer among the remaining channels and connected devices.
PathWay® is a registered trademark of Electro Standards Laboratories.
Electro Standards can supply all of your Network Cable requirements. Click here to reach our CABLES, COPPER NETWORK Webpage.
All data switches, data communication products, and data acquisition products are subject to a one year warranty against manufacturing defects. The limit of ESL liability is limited to the cost of the ESL product provided.
All ESL products are available for export.
Electro Standards welcomes International inquiries: commutateur de données, interruptor de datos, dati interruttore, Przelacznik danych, comutador de dados.