Model 4163 High Speed Ruggedized Ethernet-to-RS485/422/232 Interface Converter
The Model 4163 is RoHS compliant high speed ruggedized Ethernet to RS485/422/232 interface converter from Electro Standards Laboratories. This unit converts Ethernet 10/100 Mbps IEEE 802.3 compliant data from a standard LAN/WAN connection to a serial asynchronous data interface over RS232, or RS485/422 networks with a user selectable baud rate of up to 921,600 bps. When operating in RS485/422 mode, the converter can be configured for 2-wire half duplex or 4-wire full duplex operation. This converter provides an industrial solution for remote motoring and control of various devices from virtually anywhere over a LAN/WAN or Internet connection. Typical devices include PLC, motor controls, power monitoring, multi-drop data collection devices such as POS, barcode readers, time clocks, scales, data entry terminals, ATMs and other remote serial communications devices. Typical applications include building automation, industrial manufacturing, utilities, transportation and retail POS.
Model 4163 is designed to operate from -40°C to 85°C and is a member of Electro Standards Laboratories’ (ESL) rugged community media converter family. The unit features protection circuitry on all receivers and transmitters for both RS232 and RS485/422 interfaces. The unit’s power input is protected from transients and features 1kVDC power supply isolation to prevent system ground loops. It also has 3750Vrms isolation between the (DB9) RS485/422/232 interface and the (RJ45) Ethernet Interface. It can be powered from a wide input range of 10VDC-36VDC. Custom models are also available for other voltage ranges such as 4.5VDC-9VDC and 19VDC-72VDC.
Other features include user selectable data rate, data bits per character, start/stop bits, parity and flow control. The unit has TX, RX and Power indicator LEDs as well as link speed and link activity LEDs on the RJ45 Ethernet connector.
The converter is available in a desktop package (Model 4163) with optional DIN rail mounting hardware. It is also available as a board only (Model 4164) with front mounted threaded brackets for rack mounting in embedded applications. In this configuration there are also dual DB9 power connectors for convenience in bused power applications.
Three configurations are available:
1. Model 4163 Desktop Unit, for applications requiring an enclosure.
2. Model 4163-DIN Unit for applications requiring mounting on a DIN rail.
3. Model 4164 Board Unit, for embedded applications.
BLOCK DIAGRAM: High Speed Ruggedized Ethernet-to-RS485/422/232 Converter.
APPLICATION: The Model 4163 / 4163-DIN / 4164 drawing illustrates 4-Wire RS485 Full Duplex Network on 2 twisted pairs of wires or a 2-Wire RS485 Half-Duplex Network on a single twisted pair of wires.
- This converter provides an industrial solution for remote monitoring and control of various devices from virtually anywhere over a LAN/WAN or Internet connection.
- Typical devices include PLC, motor controls, power monitoring, multi-drop data collection devices such as POS, barcode readers, time clocks, scales, data entry terminals, ATMs.
- Model 4164 board unit only includes dual DB9 power connectors for convenience in bused power applications.
Ethernet Network Interface:
- Connectors: RJ45
- Link Speed Ethernet 10Base-T or 100Base-T (Auto Sensing)
Ethernet Network Options:
- Network Protocols: ARP, UDP/IP, ICMP, Telnet, TFTP, SNMP, Auto IP, DHCP, and HTTP
- Serial Port Protocols: TCP, UDP, and Telnet
- Network Management: Internal Web Server, SNMP, Serial or Telnet Login
- Network Security: Password Protection and Locking
Features (Rijndael 128, 192 or 256-bit Encryption)
Serial Bit Rate Options (user selectable):
- Format: Asynchronous
- Data Bits: 7 or 8
- Stop Bits: 1 or 2
- Parity: Odd, Even, None
- Flow Control: Software (XON/XOFF), None
- Data Speed: Normal Mode- 300 to 230, 400 bps @ -40°C to 85°C (-40°F to 185°F)
- High Performance Mode - 300 to 921,600 bps @ -40°C to 75°C (-40°F to 167°F)
RS232 Serial Monitor Port:
- Full Duplex RS232 Monitor Capability
- Connector: 5-pin Single Row Header (Board Only)
- Connector: Customer Specific Connector (Desktop)
Serial Copper Interface:
- Connectors: DB9, Female
- RS232: (DTE/DCE-Default) Jumper Selectable Compatible with MIL-STD 188C.
- RS485/422: (2-wire/4-wire Default) Jumper Selectable
- Termination: RS485 120 Ohm Jumper Selectable
Serial Network Configurations:
- RS485/422: Point-to-Point/Multi-Point
- Multi-Point Options:
- Ethernet Control - TX Disable Time depends upon Serial Bit Rate
- (9.6Kbps ~ 120uSec, 230.4Kbps ~ 12uSec, 921.6Kbps ~ 5uSec)
- Timer Control - Default RX Disable Time ~ 280uSec,
- (User Configurable TX Disable Time via a single thru-hole resistor)
- Power Indicator LED
- Serial DB9: TXD and RXD LEDs
- Ethernet RJ45: Link Speed and Activity LEDs
- Input Power: 10VDC-36VDC Standard
- 4.5VDC-9VDC, 19VDC-72VDC, Others at 2W.
- Connectors: DC Power Jack (Desktop Unit) ; Dual DB9F for Power Daisy Chaining (Board Only)
- Isolation: 1kVDC for power input, 3750 Vrms between data interface.
Model 4164 Mechanical (Board Only):
- Model / Cat No: 4164 / 304164
- Size: 4.8" x 3.9" x 0.63"
- Weight: 3.5 oz (99g)
- Mounting: Mounting Holes, Rt Angle Brackets
Model 4163 Mechanical (Desktop Unit):
Model / Cat No: 4163 / 304163
- Size: 5" x 4.25" x 1.4"
- Weight:10.1 oz (286g)
- Mounting: 4 Threaded Holes Std, DIN Rail Optional
- Model 4163-DIN Mechanical (DIN Rail Mounted Unit):
Model / Cat No: 4163-DIN / 304163-DIN
- Size: 5" x 4.25" x 1.4"
- Weight:10.1 oz (286g)
- Mounting: 2 Threaded Holes Std, DIN Rail
- DIN Rail Bracket Size: 2.84" x 1.24" x 0.16"
- (7.2 x 3.4 x 0.4 cm)
- DIN Rail Bracket Weight: 0.9 oz (25.5g)
To view more of Electro Standards' Media Converters, click here: Interface Converters.
Electro Standards can supply all your Network Cable requirements. Click here to reach our Cables/Connectors/Adapters Webpage.
For custom network interface converters call our friendly customer support staff at 401-943-1164, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or complete our online Custom Product Request form.
All data switches, data communication products, and data acquisition products are subject to a one year warranty against manufacturing defects. The limit of ESL liability is limited to the cost of the ESL product provided.
*Prices online are subject to change and verification.
All ESL products are available for export.